Globalization has thrown a new challenge to the labor market. As the economy and times begin to change as a result of technological advancement, the nature of work environment, product and services also change. As more professionals come into the job market, competition for the best job gets tougher and re-skilling has become one of the best ways to differentiate yourself from other competitors to gain competitive advantage.
Taking time to re-skill or developing a skill you already have can lead to greater opportunities in job search and promotion. The necessity for re-skilling has assumed a global phenomenon owing to few available jobs. In Nigeria, the situation is further compounded by skills deficiency in the curricula of most tertiary institutions coupled with few available jobs. It has been observed that most tertiary institutions in Nigeria do not produce what the industry needs. The unemployability of our graduates are owed largely to the lack of employable skills.
• Re-skilling to meet up with changes in technology
• Re-skilling owing to changes of demand
• Re-skilling to diversify
• Re-skilling to respond to sectoral changes
STRATEGIES FOR RESKILLING
• Identify what your goals are. For instance, where do you see yourself in five years, what do you want to become. These are questions that will sharpen your direction before you can re-skill.
• Identify your present skills, qualifications, experiences and measure it with the necessary skill needed to achieve your career goals. Fill up a knowledge/skill gap.
• Can you identify any gap in skill? If yes, what are those gaps. Find out what skills are high in demand in your chosen area and get recommendations or research on how to acquire such skills and also relevant courses that are necessary.
• Do not assume that re-skilling needs to be done only through university qualifications; there are other ways of re-skilling. So, in line with your defined goals and career objectives, enroll in a course, attend a seminar or workshop, GET A PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATION.
• Be open to acquiring more experiences, internship while learning or taking courses as this will give exposure to different systems and ways of working.